Explanation of DOT compliance requirements; State and Federal regulations required to pass your safety audit. Drug Testing, Driver Files, UCR, & BOC3

You may need the following:
Driver Qualification File
Drug Testing Consortium (If CDL driver)
Unified Carrier Registration (If crossing state lines)
BOC-3 (If issued MC#)
These rules were put into effect to protect the general public who have the right to be safe while traveling on our highways.  Unsafe, disqualified drivers are not to be allowed to operate on public highways.

You can Click here to fill out some questions about how you operate to determine what you will need.

Once the form is submitted you will be directed to get exactly what you actually need based on your situation.  Not everyone needs everything, so we will make sure you’re not paying for something you don’t need.
You have 30 days from the date of the DOT Application to get into compliance with all applicable regulations. After that 30 days, you’re in line for a safety audit.  We are here to make sure you pass your audit with no issues or fines.  Listed below are more details on what everything consists of.


Drug and Alcohol Testing (DOT Drug Testing)
One of the services we provide at Complete Compliance is substance abuse testing to employers and owner operators nationwide.  We can provide drug and alcohol testing to CDL drivers (and Non-CDL drivers if necessary) nationwide.  Our program covers enrollment into our consortium, and all required testing for 1 year.  All drug and alcohol testing is done consistent with Federal law contained in 49 CFR Part 40 and 382 https://www.transportation.gov/odapc/part40.
Driver Qualification File
As required under 49 CFR part 391, a Driver Qualification Files must be maintained for the following whether you are an employer or an owner/operator;
  • Anyone who operates a commercial motor vehicle that crosses state lines
  • Anyone who operates a commercial vehicle that requires a CDL
  • When the product crosses state lines
  • Where the state in which the vehicle is being operated requires the driver to do so.
  • You are required to make those DQFs available in the event of an audit, accident, or investigation by a state or federal agency.
Unified Carrier Registration (UCR)
All commercial vehicles that are operating interstate or across international lines must pay a Federal road tax.  Commercial vehicles are defined as those vehicles whose GVW exceeds 10,000 lbs., hauls hazmat, or transports 8 or more passengers.
This tax is collected by means of the Unified Carrier Registration.  The tax depends on the number of commercial vehicles that are operating interstate by the company.
Motor Carrier Number
An MC Number, or Motor Carrier Number, is a number that is required for commercial motor vehicle operators over 10,000 lbs. GVWR, to cross state lines when they transport goods for hire.  Transporting goods “for hire” means transporting someone else’s property for payment.
A BOC-3 is a United States federal filing that designates legal agents upon which process may be served. This is required before the MC number can be granted.
Additional Information
People often ask what kinds of records are reviewed during your safety audit.  They may include, but are not be limited to the following:
· 49 CFR Part 40-Drug Testing Standards and procedures
· 49 CFR Part 382-Drug and alcohol testing
· 49 CFR Part 387-Insurance
· 49 CFR Part 391-Driver Qualification Files
· 49 CFR Part 391-Medical Card/DOT Physical
· 49 CFR Part 392-Local Laws and Rules of the Road
· 49 CFR Part 395-Hours of Service/Log Books
· 49 CFR Part 393&396-Equipment and Vehicle Maintenance Records
· 49 CFR Part 397-Hazardous Materials (if applicable)